Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Windows 7 or Ubuntu, a developer's POV

When I started ubuntu for my desktop years ago, I had three targets :

1- be familiar with linux, for better tackling with our integration/production servers.
2- better understanding for OS, since you will rely much on the terminal instead of GUI
3- security, no malicious exe on my usb flash will harm my PC

the results -respectively- where :

1- somehow, not much
2- a little, as I was just struggling here and there to find how to make things work
3- Yes yes yes

but I -both as a developer and and an end user- faced many problem, that can be summarized to "productivity killer" and "no easy way to ...."

1- No GIT client as easy and free as tortoise GIT (some friends adviced to settle for GIT bash but I wasn't convinced)

2- If you do any freelancing work, most of your clients will be windows users, so you need to simulate their environments as much as possible.

3- One of my projects where killed because I wasn't able to install a third party mysql library that my code rely on - 4 nights of hard working with no hope- on my client's windows pc, though it was tooooo easy on linux .... may be If I had windows I would have taken another approach

4- One of my odesk clients swindled me and refused to pay for the task because I wasn't able to setup the monitoring client easily -It took me a day later to setup- , so he pretended that the work wasn't done

5-need to easily run exe files that your client provide you.

6-  Difficult to install the driver of the Internet USB driver provided by a local telecom providor

7- go search the internet in order to install any thing

8- No pdf/doc editor provides printingon both sides or booklet printing -AFAIK-

9- No audioplayer provides fast play that I need much to finish lectures and lessons quickly -AFAIK-

So, sadly I decided to switch back to windows and face again the endless trojans, viruses, ad-wares and similar stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment